- 1 lb. macaroni noodles
- 1 stick butter
- 8 tbsp. AP flour
- 4 c. milk
- 4 c. grated sharp cheddar
- 9.75 oz. bag Nacho Cheese Doritos, crushed
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9x12 casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt the stick of butter in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Stir and cook over medium heat until roux bubbles and turns pale brown (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly whisk in about half of the milk, then add the other half.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix the pasta and sauce thouroughly.
- In a bowl, stir crushed Doritos and melted butter until Doritos are moistened.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese to the buttered baking dish and top with the Doritos.
- Bake until dish bubbles around the edges (about 20-25 minutes).
For a simpler single-serve recipe, see Microwave Mac and Cheese.